Sunday, October 2, 2022

Maris on the Mantle

In baseball, Aaron Judge is trying to break Roger Maris’s home run record. It’s been exciting, hasn’t it? He just hit his 61st last week. Back in ’61, teammates Maris and Mickey Mantle battled each other as they raced to break Babe Ruth’s single season record. Maris ended up with 61, breaking the record. That record had stood for 61 years – I just realized that. 61 homers in ’61 followed by 61 homers 61 years later.  The number 61 will never be the same.

My friend has a lightly used Roger Maris board game. (I wish I had one.) I suggested, at least while Judge is pursuing the record, that he put the Roger Maris game on the mantle in their family room, in effect honoring both Maris and Mantle. Sounded to me like a win-win.

His wife is not having it. Does this sounds pretty judgemantle to you?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment