Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Judy and Liza Tag Team



I’ve never had a desire to see a tribute person or band. Just not my thing. I do like it when people do imitations. But not when the imitation lasts two hours and becomes a "tribute". I do the best Michael (Doobie Bros) McDonald imitation in the county, but I don’t force it on people for two hours. Two or three songs and I’m done. Among the touring tribute acts, the Rat Pack tributes seems popular. And there are two women who have performed here as the mother-daughter team of Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli. But am I really supposed to enjoy seeing someone imitate July Garland for 2 hours? I thought that’s what Liza did in real life.  

My theory is that these tribute groups have become like Professional Wrestling.  Their fans think it’s real. I’m convinced of that. I had a guy I (at least used to) respect offer to sell me two fourth row tickets to see Buddy Holly recently. Buddy of course died back in ’59 in a plane crash so of course it was a tribute band, but my friend never mentioned that. He gave every indication that he thought it was Buddy. I suppose if you believe it’s real, you enjoy the concert more. Maybe these folks are on to something.

People are interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment