Sunday, January 24, 2016

Winter Storm Jonas



Some of you readers are incurring the wrath of Jonas, the big storm on the east coast. My impression as an American is, if a storm gets a name, look out! It’s gonna be bad. So when I hear the weather forecasts, and there’s bad weather predicted, I always think to myself, “Please don’t give it a name!” Of course, if I’m Toro or John Deere Corp, I’m calling the National Weather Service saying “Here’s some names you might try”. Because if people hear that the storm has a name, they’re more likely to go out and buy that new snow blower.   

But I think we need to take a step back and look at the big picture of storm naming. The storm victims are going to need financial assistance, right? Why not sell the naming rights to these storms and hurricanes and give the proceeds to the storm victims. Toro or John Deere can get their names out there along with the weight loss drug folks, automobile companies, even people running for political office. What politician wouldn’t like to have their name trolling on the bottom of your TV screen 24/7?  

But now that I think about it, who’s to say that the selling of storm naming rights isn't already happening? Aren’t the Jonas Brothers currently on tour along the east coast? If the next storm is called Bernie, that will be my confirmation.

No comments:

Post a Comment