Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Code New



I was getting ready for a medical procedure at a brand new Dr’s office facility last week. It was just the second day they had been open. As one of the nurses was trying to start my IV (here we go with the Roman Numerals again), another nurse walked by, looked at the monitor behind me, and yelled out, “Look how big this guy’s numbers are!” Well, these are not the words you typically want to hear, unless you’re at a diving meet or maybe a bowling tournament. So yeah, my whole life flashed before my eyes. I thought I was a goner, maybe the first person to die in this new facility. (You’d think that would make you famous being the first person to die in a new facility, but, I asked and it really doesn’t help unless you’re already famous, in which case you become more famous. I consider myself “known” at this point, and certainly on the road to being famous, but perhaps not quite “famous”.)

Well, it turns out that the big number issue was a problem with the font size on the screen. I informed the nurse that she might want to dig into her Thesaurus and find some better words to use should that event take place again. I suggested calling it a “Code Font”.

No comments:

Post a Comment