Thursday, March 24, 2016

Pretty, Pretty Goodwill



Have you ever loaded your car up with clothes to go to the Goodwill, but you don’t go there for a couple days, and you go to your kid’s soccer game and the weather turns on you and you have to wear some of the Goodwill clothes out of your trunk to stay warm? And then you find you kind of still like those clothes or you get a compliment on them and you end up keeping some of them so you don’t tell anybody they’re Goodwill clothes? Yeah, I’ve done that too. 
 
I think the Goodwill knows that the clothing drop off can be an emotional time and they try to cheer us up when we’re there. I took some clothes to the Goodwill the other day. As a parent this was a tough trip ‘cause these were mostly my kids’ clothes, and I had good memories associated with some of the items. To help lift my and everybody else’s spirits, our local Goodwill has come up with a coupon program. It works like this: for every 6 donations I do over a period of 2 months, I get a coupon for a 10% discount on anything I buy in the store. Wait. What? I’m not sure who dreamed this up, but yeah, if I can afford 6 donations in a 2 month period, do I really need to be buying stuff there? They gotta be doing this just to make us feel better, right?

I suppose this could come in handy if you’re one of those guys who drops off your dress shirts there and then buys them back after they’ve been cleaned. (See the Uncle Tommy post dated June 24, 2015.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment