Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Death and Taxes



It’s spring! I saw my first robin yesterday. I was glad to see him ‘cause we’ve got way too many of those creepy worms laying around this year. I also saw the other sign of spring today: the Dancing Liberty Tax Man. He was flagging down drivers out by the street in front of the shopping center. I can never tell if this person is a future accountant, a former dancer, or maybe a guy who majored in accounting with a minor in dance. But seeing this man, unlike the robin, always darkens my day at bit, because: 1) despite the robin being here, it’s cold outside. I feel bad for the guy having to be out in this weather, 2) it reminds me that everything I’ve earned so far this year has gone to the government in the form of taxes, and 3) it reminds me that I haven’t done my taxes yet and that’s hanging over my head. I just don’t see taxes as something to be dancing about and I don’t like to be reminded of them when I’m driving. What’s next, a dancing funeral home guy? 

Some ancient manuscripts say that the apostle Matthew (the tax collector) was an early version of one of these dancing tax men prior to being called to be a disciple by Jesus. I wish someone would come along today and call the Dancing Liberty Tax Man to a new profession.  

No comments:

Post a Comment