Sunday, March 13, 2016

Jiggs Lunch



St. Patrick’s Day is coming up this week. I’m ready for some Jiggs Dinner. Last year I had my Jiggs Dinner at lunch. But nobody ever calls it a Jiggs lunch. You can’t find a Jiggs lunch. That’s ‘cause they’d have to charge less if it was a lunch. It doesn’t take a genius to figure this stuff out. Fortunately St. Patrick’s Day does not fall on a Friday or some people would not be able to eat the corned beef. ‘Cause without the corned beef, all you have is your carrots, potatoes, cabbage and maybe a turnip. At least there’s no Kale. Kale is turning up everywhere you look. And hopefully there are no Brussels Sprouts. Gosh. They’re everywhere now too. I had some in a salad Friday. C’mon! I would think they would be more likely to appear in Belgium in a Flemish meal. Well, I didn’t think anybody could screw up a Jiggs Dinner ‘til last year. Apparently this restaurant thought you just threw everything in the pot. They used whole adult carrots, whole potatoes, and the meat was fatty. And it was all served with this heaping mound of cabbage like some weird pigless pig in a blanket. What a letdown. But it’s been a year and I’m ready to try again.   

I can see why the Flemish meals never caught on here. “Let’s go out for some Flemish!” Gross! That food might be really good but nobody here’s gonna try it. That jig is up!

No comments:

Post a Comment