Sunday, March 20, 2016

Twinsparency



I don’t trust twins. I had a bad experience with some once. When I was just getting started in business I met this guy when we sat together at a luncheon. A week later I saw him on the street and said hi to him. He totally ignored me – not even a nod. Twenty years later I read the guy’s obituary and it turns out he had an identical twin. So yeah. The guy who ignored me was his twin. OK. I get that. But the guy should have told me when I met him that he was a twin and had a local brother. Is that asking too much? And the twin brother should have said he was a twin brother when I said hi to him on the street. A simple “I saw your wave. I bet you think I’m my brother. We’re identical twins, you see.” As twins, these guys owe this to society. That might seem like a lot of weight to carry around but that’s the burden of being a twin I’m afraid. Since my twin experience I have recommended all twins who’ve worked for me to note on their business cards that they are twins and to introduce themselves as such in person, in case someone were to meet their twin and have that twin ignore them or treat them poorly. 

The interchangeability of twins makes me suspicious, from sporting events, to test taking to dating. You never know which twin you’re getting. Of course it doesn’t always work out for the twin. I knew a guy who knew he was going to have to take a drug test at work, and he had a recent history of drug use, so he sneaked away and had his twin brother come in and take the test. That didn’t work so well – the twin brother failed the test. True story.

So yeah. There’s more to being a twin than just being in those Double Mint Gum commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment