Thursday, September 15, 2016

The Voice



My wife and I were out of town last week and stayed at a nice hotel. When we checked in, I noticed that the elevator had a nice woman’s voice to tell you what floor you were on and what direction the elevator was going. (To clarify, I’m not certain that she was a nice woman but she was a woman with a nice voice. Big difference!) The next morning I decided to go out for a brisk morning walk while my wife stayed in the room. I got on the elevator and was greeted by the screechiest voice you’ve ever heard, like a parrot who had perhaps been injured in some manner. “Going Down”, she said. I quickly looked around to see who else was on the elevator. There was no one but me. I got to the lobby and was going to mention it to the woman at the desk, but she was on the phone, and I did not feel this was something that was worth waiting around to tell someone about, nor did I want the desk woman to think that it concerned me enough to wait around to report. So, I took the walk, came back, took the elevator back to my floor, and the voice was normal so I kind of forgot about it.

I’m still curious as to what it was. Could this have been the ghost of a woman who used to operate the elevator in that building? A ghost of a parrot who perhaps had died in the building?  Maybe the hotel was trying to scare me into not returning because I had eaten too much at the breakfast buffet. Has this ever happened to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment