Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Fill Up 66



Our daughter goes to college about 260 miles from here. So it’s a 4-5 hour drive and sometimes it’s nice to stop for a bite to eat along the way. The restaurant selection on the journey consists of a couple of tired McDonalds (where I get a senior discount – see “Prune Juice Happy Meal” September 7, 2015), a dairy queen (I’m never sure how to pronounce “brazier”), a really expensive German (?) fish and chips place, and some rural gas station joints. I’m intrigued by the gas station food. We’re not talking about gray hot dogs rotating on rollers here. These gas stations have real kitchens. Some have what appears to be real food. The gas station food choices we pass by include gas station Indian food, gas station sushi, gas station beef and noodles, and gas station fried chicken. It’s sorta like a food court except they’re gas stations, and they’re not together.

Over the coming months I’ll be sampling these various bistros; I’ll report on my experiences here at Uncle Tommy’s, assuming the stuff doesn’t kill me. I’ll be reporting on taste as well as presentation. I’m looking forward to this, ‘cause based on the trends I’m seeing, it appears that gas station food may be the next food craze. Kinda like one of those cool food trucks, but if the trucks were in for maintenance.

2 comments:

  1. Uncle Tommy: Search out a Culver's next trip. Butter Burgers and Ice Cream. You probably have low cholesterol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. The doctor told me I have cholestrol so I'm pretty careful now.

    ReplyDelete