Sunday, August 28, 2016

Low Wait



     
In my many travels, I’ve seen the sign “Low Wait” in the front window of hair salons a couple of times. I’ve seen it in two different cities and it has caught my eye. Well, I’m not sure what it means, but I think it’s a translation error, which, if corrected, could mean either one of two things:
A.            Short wait
B.            Low weight
I think the first option is likely the proper translation. They are likely advertising that there is a short wait to get a hair cut. Their waiting room is almost empty or it just has some bald guy in it who doesn’t take long (but still pays full price). In this case the barber often does some fake snipping to stretch the time with the bald man but it still doesn't take long, and when it’s over, you look on the floor and there’s hardly any hair down there.

But it’s possible the second translation could be correct. They may have a slightly broken barber chair that they would not trust with a heavier person. Or perhaps they’ve heard of the 1100 man I referred to in my previous post (see “Pound of Flesh” 8/25/16). They’d prefer not to have him in their chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment