Saturday, December 19, 2015

A Lexus for the Rest of Us



When I hear or see that someone drives a Lexus, I always ask them if their spouse gave it to them for Christmas. ‘Cause year after year we see those Christmas Lexus commercials where the guy gets the woman to come outside on the beautiful snowy morning and she sees the Lexus with the big red bow parked outside. And boy is she happy! These commercials always make me a little sad because I’ve not given my wife a Lexus for Christmas and, based on the number of years (decades?) this commercial has been on TV, I’m guessing thousands have done this and I may be in the minority. But let’s dissect what this guy’s done. He’s either:
  1. Leased the car. Ok. Cheaper payments but severe mileage restrictions. Their prior vehicle may have had no mileage restrictions. Tough adjustment. Meh.
  2. Financed it. Let’s say he has 72 payments at $450 per month. Do I really want a gift that I’ll be paying for ‘til 2021? Meh.
  3. Paid cash for it. OK. This means they’re really rich. So the new car is not a big deal for them. Meh.
There may be a fourth option that may make sense of this situation.
  1. Rent a Lexus from Enterprise for the day and put a bow on it.  She’ll be relieved she doesn’t have mileage restrictions or 72 monthly payments and you’ll confuse the heck out of your relatives at the Christmas gathering after arriving in style.
Sounds like a win-win.

(From Uncle Tommy's new book, “Living Low on the Hog”)

No comments:

Post a Comment