Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Christmas Cardigan



I’ve not participated in an Ugly Sweater Party. I don’t think I want to. It seems to me like a cruel endeavor.  I would not purposefully ever buy ugly clothing for myself, so the alternative would be to wear something that was given to me by a loved one.  But those pictures get on Facebook, and even Grandma’s on Facebook now.  So no, I’m not going to wear a gift to the Ugly Sweater Party. And I’m sure not going to go out and buy one just for the party. So then I’d consider wearing another sweater that I kinda liked, but people would see me later at other events in that sweater and say “Hey! You’re wearing your ugly sweater!” So then you can’t wear that sweater again so that option is out. (At least these parties aren't like Tupperware Parties, where you go to the party to buy the ugly sweater.)

Well, I think I’ve found the solution. Have you ever had clothes that were so dated that you’re embarrassed to pick them up from the cleaners? (“What if Patrice sees me picking this up?”) I’ve talked to my Dry Cleaner about this. He’s got these sweaters in the back that nobody ever picks up. So yes, I see a market for ugly sweater rental.  For $10, you get a clean sweater and the dry cleaner lets you pick it up at the back door so nobody sees you with it. Another win-win?

Today’s Tommy Tip: If you go to an Ugly Sweater Party, after you get there make sure it is an Ugly Sweater Party before you start laughing at people’s clothing. Uncle Tommy got in a little trouble with that at a costume party once that turned out not to be a costume party.

No comments:

Post a Comment