Thursday, December 31, 2015

You Say You Want a Resolution



I like the idea of New Years resolutions but people generally are unsuccessful in reaching these goals.  I’m not sure how healthy that is. We too often set reasonable goals that we still just don’t achieve. Things like:

  • I’m gonna lose 20 lbs
  • I’m gonna finish that novel (or in some cases finish a sequel)
  • I’m gonna learn to play the accordion

It’s frustrating when we don’t achieve our goals, isn’t it? It’s not particularly good for our self esteem. So why not give yourself a year with easier goals – stuff you already do perhaps – and see how you feel at the end of the year. Things like:

  • I’m gonna keep going to the dentist twice a year
  • I’m gonna keep getting my hair cut regularly 
  • I’m gonna renew my Costco membership when it’s due

Wouldn’t we feel better at the end of the year if we aimed a bit lower and actually achieved our goals? Perhaps that could then lead to higher goals for 2017 based on our confidence from 2016.

Don’t thank me now. Thank me in 12 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment